Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MIFF09 Begins!


I really wasn't going to get a MIFF Festival Passport this year. The lack of sleep, the celluloid eyes syndrome, snatching moments of contact with my boyfriend – proverbial ships passing in the night, the questioning of reality after the sixth film of the day... I just wasn't going to do it again. And then the MIFF Program arrived curled up tightly in my Saturday Age a few weeks ago, and as I unfurled it and cast my eyes over the cornucopia of delights within, my resistance crumbled like stray popcorn underfoot.

I spent the next week slavishly narrowing down my schedule, negotiating clashes and work and uni commitments, sweating over which films to choose over others, and came up with a program of 52 films to be spread over the two weeks of MIFF. And so it begins...

Every year I get asked by friends about the films I've been seeing: which was the best film? Which will get a general release? Which was the most pretentious? There are also films that I always wish I got a chance to tell people about, in hopes that they might seek them out in some way, shape or form. This year I'm attempting to shape up and put my thoughts to paper (screen?) on this blog, although my good intentions may come to naught amidst a lack of time and general pervasive laziness. Apologies in advance. So welcome to my MIFF blog, and thanks for reading. Even better, buy yourself some tickets and join me. Here goes nothin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment